Tip-Sy Tuesday, May 2, 2018
Welcome to Tip-Sy Tuesday!
For the past few years I’ve been airing a Facebook Live broadcast every Friday afternoon in my closed Facebook group, Gudrun’s Quilt Crew (join if you haven’t already!) They’ve been very well received and honestly, quite a joy to do. And as you may know, I also spend quite a bit of time traveling to lecture and teach. I love sharing what’s going on in my quilting world, plus I get to see what’s been happening in yours and answer your questions. As a matter of fact, it’s because of these questions that Tip-Sy Tuesday was born.
Tip-Sy Tuesday, another Facebook Live broadcast, allows me the opportunity to answer your questions and share tips and tricks that I’ve learned throughout my career that make quilting easier. Although it won’t air weekly, it will be broadcast on my Facebook business page, GE Designs, for all to see and share! (hit that arrow under the video) My goal is to air twice a month, which should be a perfect fit around my travel schedule.
First, I get many questions about the Stripology Ruler and so, in this episode (5/2/18) I introduced Stripology 101, a short 15-minute video demonstrating the basics of using a Stripology ruler. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Folding your fabric to eliminate elbows
- Aligning your fabric and ruler WITH the selvedge edge
- Why using a 45mm or 60mm rotary cutter is your best option
- Using the little black boxes and stars eliminates the need to DO MATH. 😊
- Proper cutting technique
- Why cutting and sub-cutting multiple pieces at once is possible and EASY
Maybe you're an old pro and just needed a refresher or maybe you've been thinking about purchasing a ruler but needed to see for yourself? In either case, I hope the tutorial helped!
Secondly, have I ever mentioned how much I love Show & Tell? Well, I do. This week I shared my four newest patterns, all of which are available for purchase on my website or in your local quilt store.
- Tree Time Placemats, a quilt-as-you go project that utilizes a larger panel print and shown in the cozy Hearthside Holiday fabrics by Deb Strain for Moda, which should be available in June 2018.
- Lickety Split, a quick quilt-as-you-go baby quilt that I made in two color ways, 1 for a boy & 1 for a girl.
- Emma, quilted using 10” squares and easily cut using the Stripology Squared ruler and offered in 5 sizes. This quilt is also shown in the cozy Hearthside Holiday fabrics. Can I just say Buffalo check flannel?!
- Helena, another pattern using 10” squares and offered in multiple sizes. The pattern cover quilt was made with gorgeous Flourish fabrics by Natalia Bonner and Kathleen Whiting for Moda. The fabric should be available to ship in the fall. I also show you a second quilt I made with fabric pulled from my collection (i.e. stash).
Finally, we finished up with a giveaway! Who doesn’t love a little free inspiration? Yvonne was the lucky winner of a Stripology Squared book and a Stripologist t-shirt. All in all, I thought it was a great first episode!
You can find the full Tip-Sy Tuesday 5.2.18 episode on GE Designs Facebook page by clicking here.
In the second Tip-Sy Tuesday (5/15/18) I demonstrate how to use the Stripology ruler to make ¼” cuts, the 45 and 60 degree lines, and the 10” white outline to square up your work and show some great examples by viewers If you have questions, please shoot me an email and I’ll try to answer it. After all, that’s what Tip-Sy Tuesday is for.
Until next time, keep strippin’!